Window Toppers

Learn all about window toppers

The best way to beautify your windows quickly and inexpensively is to add some decorative window toppers. Toppers, as you might guess, are window treatments that mostly cover the topmost part of your windows. Change the look of your existing full curtains by adding toppers, or use toppers to jazz up your uncovered windows in an instant – it's completely up to you!

Advertiser Links for Window Toppers
[what's this?]

The Traditional Look: Valances

Valances are perhaps the best-known of all window toppers. These window treatments come in a variety of fabrics and styles, but most commonly they are made from ruffled cloth that covers approximately ten to eighteen inches of the topmost part of your window. Curtain valances are usually placed on their own rod, making it easy to combine them with any existing window treatments of your choice. Waverly Valances manufactures a variety of matching valance and curtain sets, which makes coordinating your window styling a breeze.

The Modern Look: Cornices

If you're looking for something a bit more modern with clean, tight lines, look no further than a window cornice. Cornices are made of one or more fabric-covered flat boards that are mounted separately from the existing curtains. In fact, cornices are so simple that they can even be made at home – all you need are some wooden panels, glue and the fabric of your choice. Aim for clean geometric shapes that complement the look of your home and the lines of your existing furniture.

The Classical Look: Swags

A swag is a relatively long, thin piece of fabric that extends across the top foot or so of your window and is then gathered along the sides to extend about half-way down the window. Because of the delicate pleating, tie-backs and gathering, swags tend to create an ornate classical Greek look that looks great in almost any home but that is perfect if your decorative tastes include classical statues, dark heavy wood, and gold or silver accents. For additional beauty, add lightly scalloped jabots to the sides of your windows.

The term swag can also be used to reference floral swags, which are bouquets of dried or artificial foliage and flowers that perform the same functions as an ordinary swag in decorating the top and sides of your window. These swag variants are particularly attractive to complement country or old-fashioned chic.